Milton H. Latter Library
Constructed in 1907 as a private residence, the building sits on an entire city block of St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans. It wasn't until 1948 when Mr. and Mrs. Harry Latter purchased the mansion, that it was transformed into a public library and dedicated to the Latters' son, Milton H. Latter, who lost his life in WWII.
After decades of providing an invaluable space for community gatherings, the grounds of the library fell into a state of disarray. In 2011, a group of concerned New Orleaneans formed the Latter Library Garden Conservancy, a non-profit whose mission is to revitalize the library grounds and restore them as a beautiful park for all to enjoy.
Landscape Images is proud to partner with the Latter Library Garden Conservancy on this ongoing project. Designed by landscape architects Alan and Marianne Mumford, the project includes a replanting of the historic Camellia Garden on the Soniat Street side of the property and Oval Garden on the Duffosat Street side. A sensory garden was built on the rear lawn, and plantings of flowering shrubs, trees, and grasses were added to the perimeter of the grounds.
The next phase of work will be to add a community reading garden that will provide a scenic outdoor space for library patrons to soak up New Orleans' natural beauty. To learn more about the Latter Library Garden Conservancy, visit their website: latterlibrarygc.com